… the problem here is with strangers passing judgment on other people’s situations
— Anna Quindlen (Newsweek, Feb. 16, ‘On Their Own Terms‘)
(Yes, I’ve been catching up with my Newsweeks that I didn’t have time to read yet.)
Anna Quindlen had a great article recently about RU-486 and since I cannot write like she can I want to quote a few parts for today’s post.
A few points I want to make here:
1) As human beings our bodies belong to us – not to husbands, boyfriends, etc., not the government, not politicians, not the clergy and definitely not total strangers.
“… between the clinic demonstrations, the political discussions and the imprecations from the pulpit, too many American women have come to feel that their pelvis is public property (Anna Quindlen).”
2) I’m concerned about young women today who are certainly not old enough to remember what life was like for women before Roe v. Wade and also have not been told or heard about what women went through in the past concerning childbirth, etc. when they did not have equal rights.
“But change in party or philosophy cannot change this undeniable fact: women who do not want to be pregnant will try to end their pregnancies. They will do it because they don’t have enough money, or enough support, or they think they are too young or too overwhelmed by circumstance. They always have, and they always will. Rat poison, Lysol, ergot, bleach—oh, the historical list of desperate measures is long. (Anna Quindlen)“
With all of our rights – those specific to women or not – we must be ever vigilant or we risk losing them. Don’t think it can’t happen.
3) Keep in mind that those who would control our reproductive organs are not likely to pay you or your child’s medical costs or college, or be there when you have to work two jobs to avoid being homeless, etc. Even if you are responsible and still find yourself with an unwanted pregnancy that you cannot terminate and then are not able to provide for the child properly, you could be accused and even arrested for neglect.
Be strong! Stand up for your rights. Don’t ever let anyone control any part of your body or mind!
If you like this post please share or vote for it below:
- Recent trends and research in birth control
- Overcoming Underearning: Book Review Part 2
- 5 Reasons Why Women Have the Power To Change the World!
One Response to 'Choice'
Leave a Reply
Comments protected by Lucia's Linky Love.