Earlier I wrote about how women have enough power to be able to change the world. Today I want to go over 5 simple things women can do to make the world greener. Of course there are many other things we can do also – some more complex – but I’ll focus on some simple, straight forward things today.
1) Teach our kids – women spend time with their kids everyday. You can incorporate learning about how we should protect the environment into your every conversations and interactions with your kids. That is the best way to do it – each and every moment, everything you say and do around your kids has an effect on the person they become and on what they value.
2) Plant green – if you live a house you probably have some sort of yard that you can control what gets planted in it. First – many people are reducing or eliminating their lawns. You can also change your lawn grass to one that is more environmentally friendly, like buffalo grass. It requires less water and less mowing and if you live in North America, it is a native plant. In the area where you have gotten rid of or reduced your lawn – plant bushes and native plants. They are better for the wildlife in your area and are easier to maintain. You can also grow a vegetable garden to help save money.
3) Recycling – yes recycling isn’t anything new – but it is still helpful. Most packaging on products is recyclable, although some isn’t. If you have the time you could also contact the manufacturers of products whose packaging isn’t recyclable and ask them to change to something that is. Get a group of friends and family to send in letters too, or sign yours. If you can afford it – yes sometimes it is expensive – you can also buy products that have been made from recyclables. I noticed that the paper towels at a store near us that were made from recyclable materials were way too expensive for us, but keep watching the prices, they may go down.
4) Energy efficient appliances – most people, like us, can’t afford to go out and buy new stuff just because it uses less energy. But what you can do is be ready – research brands and models available now – so when something does break down and needs to be replaced so you can buy something more efficient. More energy efficient doesn’t always mean cheaper. We had to replace a water heater recently – the one we bought wasn’t the cheapest out there, but it is much better insulated and efficient than many others we could have bought.
5) Transportation – if you live somewhere where there is public transportation, use it when you can. If not try to drive less or do several errands in one trip. When possible, carpool. Or walk or ride a bicycle. Of course, most of us can’t just go out and buy a hybrid right now. But when you need a new car try to choose a more fuel efficient one. Or buy a used one that will last until the new plug-in hybrids are available. Meanwhile try to start setting aside money now so that when those new plug-in hybrids come out you can afford one.
There – 5 simple things you can do now or prepare to do in the future. In future posts I’ll discuss some of the more complex and long term things you can do to make longer term changes. But right now I think what we all need and want is to do something that is within our power to do now.
If you like this post please share or vote for it below:
- Extend – the use of the items you use and buy
- Effect the area around you in a positive way
- Energize your life in an environmentally positive way
2 Responses to '5 Simple Ways Women Can Make The World Greener'
Leave a Reply
Comments protected by Lucia's Linky Love.